At the IPBC everything we do is focused on making the professional life of our members better. That's why we offer numerous member benefits which are tied to our goals. For example, our goals for you and the Institute of Professional Bookkeepers of Canada (IPBC) can be wrapped up within these statements:
- "Spread the word" about the benefits of belonging to a professional bookkeeping association.
- Achieve IPBC recognition within the bookkeeping profession.
- Establish best practices for greater excellence in bookkeeping through our continuing education program.
- Make it a routine practice to seek IPBC members within the business community.
- Initiate a code of ethics for our profession which our members adhere to.
Many of our efforts revolve around marketing. And our marketing campaigns are also your marketing campaigns. As a member you profit whenever we promote certification, standards for bookkeepers, or our association in general.
Better yet, as the IPBC association grows we'll continue to intensify our ever-expanding marketing campaigns.
Whether you're a bookkeeper employed by a large corporation, working alone running your freelance bookkeeping practice, or anywhere in between...your career will receive a "boost" through your IPBC membership.
And the potential savings from the benefits listed below can yield a return on investment for your IPBC membership of 3:1, 5:1, and higher. Just one crucial tip or update could be worth hundreds of dollars. And how do you calculate payback when half of your client base comes from membership as it did for one member? And how about the value of professional recognition?
- Clients are "reassured" when you belong to the IPBC. Share with clients why your membership differentiates you from other bookkeepers — you're dedicated and sworn to a Code of Ethics plus a high level of technical skills. Display the IPBC logo on your business cards, website, and all your marketing material.
"When clients saw I belonged to the IPBC, they went forward."
I met with a prospective client the other day. When they found out that I was a member of an association they were interested in what I could do for them. IPBC membership tipped the scales in my favor. — Kathy Fike, North Vancouver, BC
- Membership is for 12 months and you renew on your anniversary. For example: If you join in March then membership is renewed each year in March. Go to the "Join IPBC" page for dues and the registration form.
ALL memberships are for individual persons. A bookkeeping or accounting firm (i.e., the firm itself) cannot have a membership – only individuals within the firm can be members and sit for the CPB exam when the person is ready. Membership will be in your own personal name.
"My business grew 23%!”
My business grew 23% as a direct result of my CPB designation! — Angela Franklin, Halifax, NS
- After registering for and passing our national standardized exam, you'll earn status as a CPB-Certified Professional BookkeepersTM. Passing this exam provides a key independent way for clients to evaluate your qualifications. It proves you have the skills and knowledge to perform basic bookkeeping functions for any size company. You may also add the CPB credential to all your correspondence and marketing material.
- Member support is available in a variety of ways including...
- Forum — An ideal way to network with other professionals from around the country. Share ideas, solve problems, brainstorm solutions, or just keep in touch with your peers 24/7.
"Other professionals in the field are a wealth of knowledge."
I live in a relatively small town without nearby access to seminars. The IPBC member forum gives me access to the knowledge and advice I need to help my clients. — Carole Holtzman, Quesnel, BC
- Regional Meetings— These are held regularly around the country in areas where there is a cluster of members. They last a maximum of 120 minutes and we hold firmly to this out of respect for your time. The agenda includes a guest speaker followed by a Q&A session, discussions on marketing your bookkeeping practice, how to be more valuable to your clients or employer, and challenges you may be facing. Topics will vary from meeting to meeting but there is always a set agenda.
- Networking — and sharing with each other what works and doesn't work — is another vital part of the meetings.
To find the next regional meeting closest to you visit the Meetings and Webinars page.
Not yet a member of the IPBC? You're welcome to attend two regional meetings as a guest; to attend a third meeting you would need to join the IPBC. Regional meetings are another great way to check us out.
- FREE Publicity — Your local media receives a press release written by us when you become a CPB-Certified Professional BookkeepersTM. You could easily pay $200, $500 or more to have it written for you! The IPBC makes every effort to get your press release "picked up" and published in newspapers in your local area. However, we cannot guarantee it will be published.
- Professional development and continuing education — You'll receive significant savings on many courses listed on the Continuing Education page. Plus they go hand-in-hand with maintaining your CPB certification. But they're also available to help build your expertise so you can easily pass the CPB exam. They include seminars, conferences, and webinars by the industry's top instructors on provincial regulations, office and career enhancing skills, accounting practices, management, people skills, and much more. IPBC members also receive substantial discounts on courses offered by The Canadian Payroll Association.
- Special pricing and offers from industry vendors are part of your business toolbox. A wide variety of tremendous offers are available to members including significant software discounts from Adagio, Dell, TelPay for Business, QuickBooks, and Sage Simply Accounting; savings on e-Courier.ca, "The Bottom Line" newspaper; CICA's CAstore, Bookkeepers Web Design, telephone and web conferencing services from Network Telsys; Constant Contact email marketing service; and more. See all of the special offers on the Member Benefits page.
- Group Benefit Program provides affordable health and dental benefits. This program is optional. It is administered and underwritten by ManuLife Financial. You can participate even if you're the only employee and it does include your dependents. Go to the Group Benefit and Insurance Programs page for the Plan Overview and more.
- E & O Insurance is a smart investment for any professional bookkeeper. And as an IPBC member you'll have access to extremely competitive rates with the Group Errors and Omissions Liability Insurance from Marsh Canada Limited. Additional business insurance options are also available. Go to the Group Benefit and Insurance Programs page for all the details. Your potential savings are tremendous! Read below how membership "paid off" for this IPBC member.
- Save money on your home, office and auto insurance with Marsh Canada’s special pricing for IPBC members.
- Special member rates for credit card acceptance. As a member of IPBC you receive a reduced group rate for your business's credit card acceptance program. Debit Credit Canada will also Help you to be a HERO to your clients. We will review existing systems and propose cost effective strategies. We can often save them more than your annual cost to them. For further information you can also go to www.debitcreditcanada.com.
"I saved $1,200 on my E&O insurance!"
I was able to get a great quote on my E&O insurance because I was a member of this professional association. The insurance savings basically paid for over 3 years of IPBC membership because for every dollar spent on dues, I got $3.29 back in E&O savings. — Maritza Soles, Thornhill, ON
- The Rewards Program is our way of saying "thanks" for helping your IPBC association grow even faster. When someone you refer becomes a member, you're rewarded. Find details on the Rewards Program page.
We look forward to having you as a member. The Institute of Professional Bookkeepers is a nonprofit association. The IPBC was created by bookkeepers to help other bookkeepers be more successful. And just like you, we're extremely dedicated to our profession. Join today and become part of an extraordinary team of professionals.
Call us if there's anything you can't find or if you need any help: